Tuesday 17 December 2013

Gilliam's Wish Wellingtons

So, it was brought to my attention (by my good friend and fellow artist/animator, Sajan Rai) that the British Library have released a veritable digital treasure trove of old book illustrations that are now public domain.
Thus anyone can use them for any purpose without need for royalty payments and the like.


He suggested that he, I and another friend (Ben Wingrove) have ourselves a small competition to see who can create the best Terry Gilliam-style animation based on some of the imagery available. I'm quite excited by this concept and can't wait to dive in.

Immediately I'm getting ideas from images on the first page. I think I may go a little more towards the style of Mister Harpoon (as he is calling himself now) and the work he did on The Elegant Gentleman's Guide to Knife Fighting. It's an Australian sketch show, which I guess is a modern spin on Monty Python's Flying Circus (live action sketches interspersed with humorous animations).